I want to move into employment, where do I start?

If you are at school discuss with your Guidance Counsellor or Schools Careers Advisor the options available to you for career planning.

If you are ORS funded at school, link with a MSD Transition Provider (see the Directory)

Register with a supported employment agency – a list of providers can be found on www.asenz.org.nz\asenz_providers.html

Contact Work and Income who can register you as a ‘Job Seeker’ and assign you a work broker.

Check the Employment Directory and try the following websites:










What is the difference between ‘Workbridge’ and ‘Supported Employment Services’?

Workbridge works with people with disabilities to help find employment and administers support funds to assist in this goal. They can also help people already in employment to retain their position should their disability impact on their ability to do so. A training support fund is also administered.

Supported employment agencies provide job searching and ongoing job support such as facilitating job coaches, work brokering and help with applications for support funds from services and sectors such as MSD and Workbridge.

For more information about supported employment go to www.asenz.org.nz

Where can I find part-time work?

Many jobs are not advertised and are found by ‘word of mouth’. Think about who you know, who you can ask for help, or who can spread the word for you.

Approach local businesses and enquire about current job vacancies.

Working as a volunteer can provide you with skills which can be included in your CV (see listing for Volunteering Canterbury).

The Minimum Wage

There are three minimum wage rates:

  • the adult minimum wage applies to all employees aged 16 and over who are not new entrants or trainees
  • the new entrants minimum wage applies to employees aged 16 and 17, except for those who have completed 200 hours or three months of employment in the workforce, whichever is shorter; or who are supervising or training other workers; or who are trainees
  • the training minimum wage applies only to employees aged 16 and over who are doing recognised industry training involving at least 60 credits a year.

There is no statutory minimum wage for employees who are under 16 years old.

The minimum wage rates are reviewed every year. As of 1 April 2012 the adult minimum wage rates (before tax) that apply for employees aged 16 or over are:

  • $13.50 per hour, which is
  • $108.00 for an 8-hour day or
  • $540.00 for a 40-hour week

The rates that apply to new entrants, and employees on the training minimum wage (before tax), are:

  • $10.80 per hour, which is
  • $86.40 for an 8-hour day or
  • $432.00 for a 40-hour week

Employees have to be paid at least the minimum hourly wage rate for any extra time worked over eight hours a day or 40 hours a week.   Every employer has to pay at least the minimum wage unless an employee has a minimum wage exemption permit.  The Minimum Wage Act 1983 provides that Labour Inspectors from the Department of Labour may issue minimum wage exemption permits to workers who are limited by a disability in carrying out the requirements of their work. This means a lower minimum wage rate is set for a particular person in a particular job for the period in the permit. A minimum wage exemption will only be issued it is considered reasonable and appropriate to do so. Visit www.dol.govt.nz for further information.

Employment Advocacy

People First's (see Directory) Works 4 Us service, provides rights at work support for people in some employment situations and a plain language Individual Employment Agreement.